Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Feet

When I think of barefoot hiking, I think of Adam off of Northern Exposure. He's the crazy guy that lives in the woods- that nobody has really seen, but everybody has a story about him and how crazy he is. When you do finally meet him on the show, he is walking around barefoot and the camera makes sure everyone gets a good look at his feet. His feet are a large and prominate part of his character. He feels very comfortable walking around barefoot letting the world see his exposed feet. I bet he could tell a lot of stories about where he has walked barefoot. Of all things strange about Adam, he is very much at ease going barefoot.

I have never really considered hiking barefoot. Ok, I have NEVER considered hiking barefoot and I have been hiking for years. The thought has never crossed my mind- until now. I have spent plenty of time wondering what hiking footwear I should wear and over the years have bought plenty. Do I need a trail runner? A hiking boot? Something sturdy and warm but not too warm? How much does this cost? And lots of times I have returned home from the store, headed out hiking, and found the shoes pinching my feet or my toes touching the end. How aggrivating! - (so, I sold them on ebay).

From a young age, the moment warm weather started, I would go barefoot all of the time. Even now I go barefoot the majority of the time, just not hiking - or walking - or running - or too far down the road, really. I can see where hiking barefoot leads to a whole new experince and sensation while hiking. I have to admit that little rocks and cold springtime weather scare me.

Warm grass, fresh rain, and a cool stream can help me to reconsider hiking barefoot. So, thanks to all who have gone barefoot hiking before and inspire those who haven't, to give it a try.



Some inspiring quotes about our feet-


"If I had my life to live over... I would climb more mountains and swim more
rivers... If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the
spring and stay that way later in the fall."
~Nadine Stair


"Until thy feet have trod the Road, Advise not wayside folk, Nor till thy
back has borne the Load, Break in upon the broke." ~Rudyard Kipling, The
Comforters



"Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out
your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no
knowing where you might be swept off to." -J.R.R.
Tolkien

"Even the rocks, which seem to be dumb and dead as the swelter in the sun along
the silent shore, thrill with memories of stirring events connected with the
lives of my people, and the very dust upon which you now stand responds more
lovingly to their footsteps than yours, because it is rich with the blood of our
ancestors, and our bare feet are conscious of the sympathetic touch." ~Chief
Seattle

1 comment:

  1. "Even now I go barefoot the majority of the time, just not hiking - or walking - or running - or too far down the road"

    Don't stop with hiking, free your feet, you will never look back.

    ReplyDelete